For a healthy, brighter smile, you will want to focus attention to your daily oral care. This means looking after your teeth and gums every single day. Brushing your pearly whites at least twice a day for two minutes helps to clear out bacterial debris, and flossing at least once each day between the teeth and the gum line to rid your mouth of trapped food particles will brighten your smile! If you do floss once a day it is a good idea to do it at bedtime, so that the mouth is clean overnight when saliva production is at its lowest.
In addition to your detailed daily care, you will want to see your dentist every six months to clean the tartar off your teeth and along the gumline, not to mention polishing those pearly whites. A professional dental cleaning takes care of those things you cannot do at home. So what can you typically expect at your dental visit?
Dental Checkup and Cleaning
- Checking for signs of tooth decay
- Examining your teeth for any chips and cracks
- Making sure your fillings are in top shape
- Making sure there are no loose teeth
- Examining the tissues inside your mouth
- Checking your tongue for abnormalities
- Making sure your bite is what it should be
- Checking for receding gums
- Evaluating your dental appliances
- Checking the contact between your teeth
- Taking X-rays as necessary
- Examining the gums
- Checking for the signs of early gum disease
As you can see, taking care of your mouth is not to be taken lightly. Prevention and maintenance begins in the home and ends in your dentist office. So brighten your smile with a spring dental cleaning to make sure your mouth is in its best shape yet! To schedule a visit with Dr. Landon King or Dr. Burke Jardine, please call our Smiles Dental team in Camas, Washington at 360.335.3998 today.